Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had my period dec 20th it is usually normal even though

Customer Question

I had my period dec 20th it is usually normal even though I'm 46. Las month I spotted a lot but now I still haven't had my period. I have never not had my period unless I was pregnant
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

At age 46, it's not unusual to miss a period, even when it has never happened before. At some point your periods have to stop, and usually they will be irregular (with misses) for a number of years before stopping completely.

The spotting you had last month is also suggestive that your hormones are not so regular as they were in the past.

It would be best to see your doctor to help to be sure that the changes are just due to hormonal changes. Then your doctor can also give you some progesterone pills that will help to prevent further spotting. If there is any question, a blood test for pregnancy can also be done. Best wishes.

The above are are my words (Dr. Norm), but are listed as words from the customer. The system is not working well. Sorry.