Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

Manos. This is an IVF question. I have used Human Growth

Customer Question

Hi Dr Manos. This is an IVF question. I have used Human Growth Human for my last IVF cycle to better my egg quality. I am banking embryos and now I have the decision to make whether to use HGH again for my next cycle. I am concerned about the safety (especially any links to cancer) with using HGH and wanted to know if it would be safe to use again? I was on 1iu for three weeks in my last cycle, and would have to be on the same amount if I was to use it for the next cycle. Is 6wks of 1iu safe to be taking, I especially ask as I have a strong family history off cancer. Many thanks, Sandra
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Manos. HGH has been known about for more than forty years and has not been implicated in causing cancers however if a cancer is present it can accelerate it. In your case I imagine by your age there isn't something lurking in with your family history. For pregnancy it is category B so birth defects would be unlikely. I've been supportive of HGH although it has effects on carbohydrate metabolism and can confuse management of diabetes.

You might consider BRCA gene testing that increases risk for cancers particularly breast and ovary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have had a full cancer gene panel tested, the only cancer gene that comes up is a gene called CDKN1B - it is part of MEN4 cancer genes, however there have been no endocrine cancers in my family, only brain cancers. So not sure if this gene is benign or not, and no one can tell us because it is so rare. Because this gene is linked to endocrine cancers it makes me more concerned about using Human Growth Hormone. Do you think it is safe for me to use? Many thanks

Theoretically, if you have a mutation CDKN1B then there is a deficiency in factors that regulate cell growth. I think a genetic counselor could be of value as there a positive input from HGH to cell growth and repair. Using HGH has had its pros and cons. In your case might be wise to avoid HGH