Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I had a missed miscarriage and medical management 11 weeks

Customer Question

Hi I had a missed miscarriage and medical management 11 weeks ago and d&c for retained tissue 6 weeks ago. I have had unprotected sex after the d&c so I chose to take a pregnancy test this morning and it was (faint) positive. I've read that the Hcg hormone can linger for a while but 11 weeks seems like a long time. Could I really be pregnant
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Ted Manos MD, board certified obgyn. For your information, blood HCG levels are of course elevated in pregnancy. Rule of thumb, the HCG level doubles every 48 hours. If I had a patient with an HCG of 500, it should be 1000 in 48 hours. After a miscarriage, it takes 48 hours for the HCG blood level to drop half what it was. With some retained pregnancy tissue and the d&c you had, your HCG level was probably around(###) ###-#### ***** we do the math, the HCG level would be gone in two weeks. In my experience, HCG levels don't "linger" unless some tissue is still present causing HCG to be detectable. It usually takes three weeks to ovulate after a miscarriage or the d&c. You are probably pregnant. All this information I saw repeatedly over the years that was so amazingly consistent. I hope this helps in your thinking and you should repeat the test about 3-5 days