Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I am a 47 year old woman. *I have always been very fertile.

Customer Question

I am a 47 year old woman. *I have always been very fertile. My periods have become irregular over the past year. Sometimes I will miss one & other times it will come every 2 weeks. Other times it is regular. I had a period on December 18th & then again on January 4th. Both regular periods. I had unprotected sex with a 58 year old male on January 12th. I took Plan B (morning after pill) 24 hours later. It is now 7 days later & I am having cramping in my lower right side, slight lower back pain, & a sour/nauseaus stomach. No breast soreness or bleeding. I think I could be ovulating given the timeframe, but I am worried I could be pregnant! Please advise your thoughts as to what you think is going on. Thanks!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Manos, board certified obgyn. I retired from forty years of practicing obgyn last year and being an expert for Justanswer has had me answering the same questions I did for all the years. I delivered around 10000 babies and in all that time I recall one patient that delivered after age 45. There were about three maybe four patients that were over 46 that conceived and each miscarried. What I'm saying is that you're not likely to be pregnant. At your age, you don't ovulate much anymore and when you do it's like the kernels at the bottom of a popcorn box that never popped well. Taking plan B, which is a potent progesterone derivative, will throw you off any predictability. When the effects of the pill wear off, you will get cramps and bleeding because your uterine lining might have been getting thicker over the last six months and the pill will actually help shrink the lining with heavy bleeding and cramps. It should only last three or four days and you should be ok. I know this is a lot of information but it is basic female reproductive cycling and predictable. You might consult an obgyn but wait for now when you probably cramp and flow later in the week or next week.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your message. I am concerned because of the nausea, etc.... But, you think the cramping (no bleeding yet) is normal for this situation? Sorry... Im just very worried!!!!!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is the nausea/cramping (no bleeding) normal one week later?

Nausea is the most common side effect and can last as long as a week as it varies with the woman's metabolism. The cramps happen as the level of the drug decreases.