Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am a male. My female partner has tested positive in the

Customer Question

I am a male. My female partner has tested positive for HPV in the past and has had pre-cancer cells. I have never had any symptoms of HPV. I am entering new relationship, should I get tested? Is there anything I should do?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Although it sounds harsh, the best thing that you can do is to forget about HPV.

We don't have tests to know whether you have HPV, so you can't be tested.

Most sexually active adults will get HPV at some time during their lives. For the majority, their bodies will clear the HPV, and it will be gone. Occasionally the HPV remains in the body, and then it can cause precancerous changes and cancer.

We do have tests for HPV in a woman's cervix, the most likely place it causes problems. As long as your new partner has routine Pap smear and HPV testing, she doesn't have to worry about HPV. We are able to find any precancerous changes in the cervix long before they become serious, and it's not difficult to deal with it. Most of the time, those precancerous changes don't even need treatment, because they go away on their own.

It's very likely that you no longer have HPV, although there is no way to be sure.

So the best thing you can do is to encourage your partner to have routine testing of her cervix. As long as she does that, neither of you have to worry about HPV. Best wishes.