Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have a6mm dermoid cyst and am 67 yr old. I am having

Customer Question

I have a6mm dermoid cyst and am 67 yr old. I am having increased abdominal bloating until at times I look 2-3 mo. pregnant. I am experiencincing some low back pain at the end of the day so that I want to lie on an heating pad. My c-125A test was clear. Should I wait 3-4 mo. and do another sonogram or have one or both ovaries removed?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Is your dermoid really only 6mm?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what my Dr. said.

A 6mm dermoid is not very significant. It won't be causing any symptoms, so your bloating and back pain are not due to the dermoid.

A dermoid is a benign tumor that will never become cancer. The only reason to remove it is if it grows a great deal.

Taking out your ovaries most likely will not help your symptoms. The only reason to do that would be if cancer is suspected.

I would wait and repeat the sonogram. In the meantime, your doctor can search for the cause of your symptoms. Best wishes.