Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Specialist advice in Gynecology,Menstrual problems,STDs, Pregnancy .
6740150

I had a colposcopy 7 days ago and a biopsy, but had sex 5

Customer Question

Hello! I had a colposcopy 7 days ago and a biopsy, but had sex 5 days after the procedure. I had no bleeding or spotting beforehand, but a few hours later I started bleeding a bit (less than a periods amount) and have now had very water, slightly red discharge for 2 days. Should I consult my doctor? Could this be a sign of infection? I feel fine but I've had very slight stomach pains - not sure if that is all placebo though! Thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

What is your age?

Are you having any pain in vagina now?

Any soreness you can notice?

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Yes,the mild bleeding you are having is most likely because of friction due to sexual intercourse in incompletely healed cervix after the biospy.

It is generally recommend to avoid sex after 1 week of colposcopy.If a cervical biopsy is done (as is for you)during the exam, one should definitely have to wait a little bit longer before to have sex.This period can be of upto 2 weeks.

Because during biopsy,small samples of tissue were removed from the cervix and it is essential to give the cervix time to heal.

As you had sexual intercourse after 5 days of the procedure of colposcopy & biopsy,and had started a mild bleeding few hours later,this is most likely because of friction in cervix due to incomplete healing.

Your vagina may be sore and you may experience mild cramping.It is normal to have some mild stomach cramping.You can take tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly in pain relief & cramps.

You may want to wear a sanitary pad for bleeding.You may also have other limits on your activity, including no heavy lifting. It is normal to have some mild cramping.

This mild bleeding/spotting will stop in a couple of days.Avoid having sex or using tampons, vaginal medications, lubricants or creams.Give your cervix atleast 10-14 days to heal completely.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh