Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I'm trying to figure out if I missed my LH surge this

Customer Question

I'm trying to figure out if I missed my LH surge this month or if I just didn't ovulate. Ovulation hasn't been a problem in the pass but I'm on day 17 of my cycle and no positive test.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

How old are you?

How regular are your periods? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 30 and have regular periods

As long as you tested for several days before your expected ovulation, I suspect that you didn't ovulate this month. It's not that unusual.

Most women don't ovulate on occasion, and it's more likely to happen once you reach 30 years of age. Sometimes the reason is stress, but often we don't find a reason.

You'll probably know if your next period is late and a pregnancy test is negative. That's usually what happens when a woman doesn't ovulate.

If that happens, I would just wait to see what happens next month. Hopefully your ovulation will be back on track. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also one more thing we've been ttc for 6 years ovulation has always been in check. We've been diagnosed unexplained infertility even from clinic that doesnt believe in the UF diagnoses. Do you think a glueten free diet might help?

Do you have intestinal problems when you ingest gluten?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but i read somewhere gluten can effect your hormones

There are claims made that a gluten free diet can increase fertility, but I don't know of scientific studies that have shown this to be true except in women with celiac disease. It's unlikely that you have celiac disease if gluten doesn't cause you intestinal problems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it hurt to try? I feel we've tried everything but ivf.

It wouldn't hurt to try. I'm not an expert on gluten problems, but I think they are common.

After 6 years of infertility, it's probably time to try something like IVF. But it wouldn't hurt to try a gluten free diet first.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IVF is very expensive and as long as tge posibility is there im not ready to do that but thank you

There is a blood test for antibodies that would help to diagnose possible celiac disease. It may be worthwhile to ask you doctor to have the test. Just in case it's positive, it would be helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay my aunt has so is it genetic?

There are genes that increase the chance of developing celiac disease. The inheritance pattern is not know, but it does tend to run in families.