Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had a pap a few years ago that showed hpv and had

Customer Question

I had a pap a few years ago that showed hpv and had colposcopy that showed abnormal cells after the solution was put on. A LEEP procedure was done and they were removed. I was told to have pap every 6 months going forward to watch it. Due to a lot of overseas travel and moves, I never had another pap until the last month. My results came back showing hpv 16 and a bacterial vaginosis (for which I took flagyl), also during my pap the doctor saw upon visual inspection a white spot on my cervix. When they called with my pap results I asked about that too and they said the results didn't really reveal an answer to the white spot. They are recommending a colposcopy to look at the cells and white spot. Is it normal for a white area of the cervix to beat visible to the naked eye? Or what could that be indicative of? Is it due to the hpv 16?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 10 months ago.

A white spot on the cervix is also called leukoplakia. It may just be a buildup of the superficial cells, could be a wart (caused by other HPV other than 16), or it could be neoplasia, which is precancerous changes.

Most likely it's a benign change. The colposcopy will help to determine that, and most likely the doctor will remove the white patch at the time of colposcopy.

It's not very unusual to have a white spot visible to the naked eye.

It's not due to hpv 16, but there are over 100 types of hpv, and they can be found together. Our hpv tests only test for what are called high risk hpv, such as hpv 16. I hope that's helpful.