Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

How does spotting occur after a Endometrial Biopsy and how

Customer Question

How long does spotting occur after a Endometrial Biopsy and how long till having sex is ok after the procedure.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today. I've performed thousands of endometrial biopsies.

It's normal to have some spotting for 1-5 days after the procedure. Sex should be avoided for just 2-3 days if a "tenaculum" was needed to keep the cervix still while taking the biopsy. This is needed about 50% of the time. Your doctor may or may not have mentioned the need for the tenaculum. That causes an extra intense cramp.

Please reply if I can clarify anything. This is especially an area of expertise for me so I can give any detail you need.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 10 months ago.

Any questions?

The reason no sex for 2-3 days after the tenaculum has been used is because it causes a couple of "poke holes" in the cervix. These need 2-3 days to close up so as not to risk infection.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I thought it would take a month to heal is there any cases where sex may be out of the picture for a prolonged time
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 10 months ago.

No absolutely not. Sex would only be out for 2-3 days after to give time for the poke holes from the tenaculum to heal and perhaps for the cervix to close back up. But usually we don't need to "dilate" (open up) the cervix for this procedure. Usually the plastic tube we use slips in without needing to open the cervix at all. Did your doctor say something different? I wonder why you're wondering?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They said no sex for upto a month
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 10 months ago.

Wow, I can't imagine why they said that. Did anything unusual happen at the time of biopsy? How long did the whole painful part of it last? That will give me an idea of whether it was a normal biopsy or became complicated. So describe the procedure more for me so I can judge if it was "routine" or became "complicated".

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ive had pain for about five days now but this is the second time ive had this procedure done due to irregular bleeding
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 10 months ago.

Most people don't have pain for 5 days afterwards. How long did the actual biopsy take? Was it done in the office? What is your main concern here? Getting back to having sex or something else?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 10 months ago.

Any more questions? I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No more questios thanks
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 10 months ago.

You're welcome. I'm glad to help. Please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. I was just checking in to make sure things have settled down. If you continue to have concerns, please let me know. I'd like to be sure you're concerns have all been addressed.