Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

Story short, I skipped my november period in order to avoid

Customer Question

Long story short, I skipped my november period in order to avoid having it or any spotting over the New Year's holiday. I got my period from December 18-23/24. I am currently on a new pack and started the 3rd week of active pills two days ago. This morning I noticed some brown discharge and just now some bright red blood. I am worried because I shouldn't be getting my period for over a week. Is this something to be alarmed about? Is this happening because this is when I should be getting my period had I not skipped one?
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been on the pill for about 5 years and have been pretty regular with it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

..

Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

A few questions first to clarify your concern:

1. What is the first day of your last menstrual period (LMP) for October?
2. Normally do you have periods every month, i.e. 28-30 days? If not what is your menstrual cycle length?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. Kala,To answer you questions first, and then we will see if this warrants a call. I'm not really concerned because I have been good about taking my pills everyday but I made the mistake of looking up things online and that has scared me.1. The First day of my last period for October was: 10/5/15 and the first day of my November period was 11/2/15. I then skipped and got my period on 12/18/15.2. My typical cycle is usually about 28 days.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Do you take your pill the same time every day, i.e every 24 hours?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I try to, some days I am a few hours later but I have been taking it everyday. And there have been times I have missed one but I always take two the next day.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your responses.

Since you have missed one pill (BCP) during this cycle this could be the reason for the brown discharge. The BCPs are low dose, so being off by > 12 hours can result in breakthrough bleeding such as you are experiencing. The good thing is that you quickly took the missed dose, so you should be protected from pregnancy. Please keep in mind that if you miss 2 or more pills in any cycle you could get pregnant so use a backup form of contraception. I strongly recommend that you use condoms at all times to avoid getting a sexually transmitted infection (STI).

Since you are on schedule with your pills, this should not happen next month, but if it does then get a pregnancy test. However from what you have described I believe it is unlikely that you are pregnant.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.

.

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time and feel free to ask for me for your next health question

Have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I see you have reviewed my answer. I hope this has helped.
Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time
Have a great day!