Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I'm currently 33 weeks pregnant and I think I may have a

Customer Question

I'm currently 33 weeks pregnant and I think I may have a vaginal infection (bv? Itchy watery discharge) or possibly GBS - which I know usually doesn't cause symptoms. If either of those bacteria get into my nasal canal, could it cause meningitis? I'm seeing my doctor later today for an accurate diagnosis, but I'm worried some of the bacteria may have gotten into my nose via not washing my hands after using the washroom and examining myself, then trying to clear my nasal canal afterward. I've also noticed some blood from blowing my nose too hard after clearing my nasal canal.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 11 months ago.

Whereas GBS causes meningitis in newborn babies, it rarely does in adults. And BV bacteria do not cause meningitis. So I don't think you have to worry.

Of course it's always a good idea to wash your hands after using the restroom, and then you'll be less likely to worry about something like this.

Nosebleeds are fairly common in pregnant women due to the increased number of small blood vessels in your nose. It's important to be very gentle with your nose so that these blood vessels don't rupture and bleed. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. At what point would I be considered "In the clear" regarding the possibility of getting meningitis from this incidence? If, I do have GBS?

You're in the clear now. It's only a fantasy that you would get meningitis from this scenario.

But the incubation period for most bacterial meningitis is 2 days to 2 weeks.