Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Specialist advice in Gynecology,Menstrual problems,STDs, Pregnancy .
6740150

My boyfriend and I had sex and s condom might have slipped

Customer Question

Hello. My boyfriend and I had sex and his condom might have slipped off. I have taken 10mg of provera each day for 8 days so that I can have a period before starting my period for the first time. Can I still get pregnant?
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant starting my birth control for the first time not period
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

What is the date of your last menstrual period?

On what date sexual intercourse was done where you have doubt that his condom might have slipped off?

On what date you started the first dosage of provera?

Do you have history of irregular periods?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have pcos. It was at the end on october. The condom slipped off half an hour ago. I do have irregular periods. The provera is so I would get a period and then I could start birth control. I have taken one 10mg of provera per day for the last 8 days.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

Provera tablets does not provide contraception against pregnancy, because it doesn't stop you releasing an egg (ovulation).

It is usually advised to use contraceptive methods to avoid getting pregnant while you are taking this medicine.

As you have history of PCOS which was diagnosed at the end on october,you had irregular periods and your partner's condom might have slipped off during sexual intercourse -there can be a slight probability of pregnancy.

Provera contains a progestin (a form of progesterone), a female hormone that helps regulate ovulation (the release of an egg from an ovary) and menstrual periods.

A woman is most likely to become pregnant if sexual intercourse occurs just before or just after ovulation.

Although as you were taking one 10mg of provera per day for the last 8 days & having history of irregular periods along with diagnosed PCOS,the probability of pregnancy is very low.A pregnancy test after few days is advised.

So bot***** *****ne is that yes,you can be pregnant but the probability is quite low.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I take plan b?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there ano emergency contraceptive I can take now?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for asking follow up question

It will be a better option to take plan B.

Morning-After Pill (Emergency Contraception)/plan B can be used as birth control measure to prevent pregnancy.The effectiveness of the emergency contraceptive pill decreases over time.

If it is taken within 24 hours of having unprotected sex, it prevents 95% of pregnancies.

So in your case,it is advised to take emergency contraceptive/Plan B pills.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can it be taken even if I'm taking provera?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please advise us.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Sorry for the delay in answer.I was busy with another question.

Yes,you can take plan B pills even if you were taking provera tablets.It is safe to take.The pills used in hormonal emergency contraception contain the same hormones found in hormonal birth control methods.

So it will be a better option to take plan B now ta avoid pregnancy.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I weigh more then 165 pounds.will it still be effective?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Your weight is more then 165 pounds.Yes,it will be still very effective.

A slight overweight is no issues.The medication will be equally effective.Take the normal dosage as described.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Dear customer

Just checking in. How did things turn out?"

Have you taken plan B?

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh