Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am a mother of 5. I believe I have undiagnosed HSV2. I

Customer Question

I am a mother of 5. I believe I have undiagnosed HSV2. I don't believe I was tested for HSV2 during pregnancy. My question is regarding what is passed to the child of a HSV2 mother. Even if they are not infected with the virus, will they still have the antibodies? Would I be able to determine when I was infected based on the children's current blood work?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Why do you think that you have HSV2?

How old is your youngest child? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am only now recognizing what I believe to be the symptoms of long-standing mild, undiagnosed HSV2. My youngest child is 5 years old.

A newborn baby has antibodies received from the mother at birth. These antibodies gradually decrease, and are mostly gone by 4-6 months after birth. So your children would have none of the antibodies they received from you during pregnancy.

It's true that if a woman developed HSV2 before or early in her pregnancy, she would develop HSV2 antibodies, and they would also be present in her fetus at birth - but not 6 months later.

If you have any symptoms of HSV2, the way to know for sure is to request a herpes culture at the time that symptoms are present.