Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I have some questions regarding HPV positive &

Customer Question

Hi - I have some questions regarding HPV positive & colposcopy
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you call me at(###) ###-####instead? If not here's the main part of my question-
I received a call last night from my gynecologist office saying that my pap test came back normal but that I tested positive for HPV so they want me to come in there for a colposcopy so I must have HPV 16 or 18 which calls for this type of further investigation from what I have read. I am suppose to have this done tomorrow but am afraid that a likely biopsy can spread cancer cells if it turns out that they were taken from cancerous lesions. I am now afraid to go tomorrow since they have already prepared me to take Motrin beforehand since it’s likely a biopsy will be taken. I haven’t had any vaginal bleeding and have been in menopause for over a year). I have suffered from mild pelvic pain for years off and on but have always had normal pelvic exams including this last one (except for HPV) I am leaving for Europe next week and will not be back until Feb 2nd. and would like to postpone this procedure until I have more time to investigate. Do you think this is ok or does cervical cancer spread quickly? Also can cancer be ruled out by any other way other than biopsy? Like an ultra sound? I won't do a CT for fear of radiation exposure. I am in good health and have never had cancer. Never smoked. eat healthyAlso, am I to presume that if I tested positive for HPV 16/18 with vaginal pap smear would I test positive for anal pap smear since I have read that HPV is a main cause of anal cancer?
Thank you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was hoping for an answer by now as I marked as urgent
Expert:  khagihara replied 11 months ago.

Since you have the normal pap smear, it is very less likely that the colonoscopy will find abnormal lesions. If it doesn't find them, they don't do biopsies. Here is a comment about HPV screening without pap smear. The biopsy doesn't make cancer spread. The cancer usually spreads very slowly. You can wait until you come back.

HPV infection in women ≥30 years is more likely to be persistent and, therefore, has a greater likelihood of clinical significance. However, any strategy that includes HPV screening (with or without Pap tests, or with Pap test as triage) increases the number of positive results from screening and the number of colposcopies performed; long-term outcomes remain uncertain.

A 2011 systematic review of HPV screening concluded that although primary HPV testing for women over age 30 detected more cases of CIN 3 or cancer than cytology, the evidence was insufficient to determine the net benefit of HPV testing strategies. The authors concluded that primary HPV testing was "very promising" as a screening strategy, particularly when coupled with cytology triage prior to colposcopy, but that more data are needed to determine the balance of benefits and harms from an HPV strategy, including the potential for overdiagnosis and excess colposcopy.