Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

This question is in regards to how HSV1 or HSV2 will

Customer Question

This question is in regards ***** ***** HSV1 or HSV2 will "shed" in children presumably infected during birth. The infection sight is on the skin of the torso. It appears as a birthmark, with small, infrequent lesions.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It is not typical for either HSV to affect the torso. However, when there is an HSV infection at any location, the virus will shed during recurrences starting with the onset of symptoms and continuing until the sores have crusted over. If there is uncertainty of whether HSV is the cause of any sores, it would be appropriate to perform a herpes culture of the skin, which is most accurate early in the course of each recurrence. There also are periods of shedding when there are no symptoms, but it is impossible to know when asymptomatic shedding is occurring.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.