Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

I have pain in my lower pelvic area around the right ovary

Customer Question

I have pain in my lower pelvic area around the right ovary with movement. I also have vaginal itching. I am married in a monogamous relationship. No sores, swelling, or discharge.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

.

Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

A few questions first to clarify your concern:

1. When did this pain start? Did it happen with sex?

2. Any vaginal discharge? If so what color is it?

3. Have you taken any medication, antibiotics, recently? If so what?

4. Is the pain on both sides or just one side? Does it hurt all the time? If not does it hurt to urinate, defecate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. It started a couple of days ago. I had sex the night before but didn't notice any pain.2. No discharge. If anything just normal lubrication that I've always had doesn't seem to be there as much.3. No antibiotics.4. The pain is just on one side and it's just with movement. It doesn't hurt if I press on it. It hurts the most getting up from a sitting position and vice versa. It hurts to urinate only if I push, kind of like when you have a sore muscle and if you tense your muscles or sneeze or cough.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been told in the past I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, so it's possible that is causing the pelvic pain and it's completely unrelated to the vaginal itching.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

1. Do you have any medication conditions?

2. Have you had the itching before? How long have you had the itching?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have any medication conditions. I have not experienced the itching before, it's been a couple of days. Yeast infections have felt similar but those were always accompanied by discharge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've only had a handful in the past, only after taking antibiotics.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your response. You are right these are probably two separate issues.

The pelvic pain can be due to several things: an ovarian cyst, or an infection. The cyst is due to the normal physiologic occurrence of making an egg each month. However sometimes a cyst can enlarge and cause discomfort or pain, which can be increased with sex. If the pain is persistent and doesn't go away after a few hours then an evaluation is indicated which can include a pelvic exam and ultrasound. If the pain becomes severe then an exam is needed. You can try placing a heating pad on that side, lying on your side with knees up can help relieve the pain

The vaginal itching can be due to an early yeast infection, allergy to a feminine product, new laundry or body soap. Try and think of anything that may be new in your environment in regards ***** ***** or external products. While a yest infection often occurs with a discharge, an increase in the Candida fungus that causes it can be the cause. Candida is a naturally occurring vaginal organism, but will increase when sugar.carbohydrate intake is increased. For this monitor your diet, reduce the sweets, sugars & starches, and drink plenty of water. Doing this can prevent an increase in Candida & risk of a yeast infection.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have not gotten my period in over 2 months.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not necessarily abnormal for me, I seem to be unable to conceive and have had very increased levels of abnormal hair growth. All of these symptoms combined have me quite concerned.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

How long have you been trying to conceive?

How often do you have sex during our fertile week?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's hard to pinpoint when my fertile week is, since my menstrual cycle is not always reliable. My husband and I have been having unprotected sex for 2 years at least 2-3 times a week.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

Given the lenght of time you have been trying wit out success a formal evaluation of both you and your husband is indicated. An infertility workup can lead to a better understanding of why you are not getting pregnant, but sometimes no good reason can be found.

If you are not doing so, you can get an ovulation predictor kit in the local drug stores to see if you are ovulating, If it turns positive then you should have sex once a day for the next 4 days.. Avoid using any artificial lubricants, if lubrication is needed then use egg whites.

It is important to remain relaxed and not be tense during this time as tha an effect our hormones

And of course you should be doing all the things to live a "good" life: getting plenty of water, eating a variety of vegetables & fruits to get a variety of nutrients. Getting plenty of exercise (at least 5x/wk for 60 min or more) to make sure all of our body organ systems are working well. And finally you should be taking a prenatal vitamin at least 3 months before conceiving to make sure you have enough of the vital vitamins & minerals (especially folate).

Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time and feel free to ask for me for your next health question

Have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 1 year ago.

.Hi, I see you do not have any other questions at this time. Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time
Have a great day!