Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I recently had very heavy, unexpected bleeding from my

Customer Question

I recently had very heavy, unexpected bleeding from my vagina. My last period was a week prior. I went to the emergency room and they performed an ultrasound and some blood tests, including a pregnancy test. All results came back normal and I was released. Immediately prior to the bleeding I was hula-hooping with a 4 pound hula hoop for about 30 minutes. Two days later, I am still experiencing a fair amount of pain in and around my vagina and rectum and have just discovered bruising and bright red spots, almost resembling a rash, and swelling of my lower inside left buttock by my rectum. Needless to say, I am quite worried as these issues all seemed to come from nowhere and my pain is not going away.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Manos, board certified obgyn. Did you have bright red bleeding and it seemed to be vaginal in origin? Could you have had some type of varicose vein pop with the hula hoop? I say this because the "rash" could have been from a spreading hematoma between vaginal and rectal wall. It probably has stopped bleeding into the subcutaneous space and it will resolve. With all my years of experience I haven't seen what I'm speculating about.