Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Specialist advice in Gynecology,Menstrual problems,STDs, Pregnancy .
6740150

I am getting a hysterectomy soon due to enlarged fibroids

Customer Question

I am getting a hysterectomy soon due to enlarged fibroids causing constant bleeding. Recently I have been experiencing extremely strong vaginal odor. Is this normal or do I have an infection that should be treated prior to surgery?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 11 months ago.

Do you have strong fishy smell vaginal odor?

Are you passing any vaginal discharge?

Has such strong vaginal odor started after sex?

Are you taking any medications?

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It smells like it did after I had my kids and had discharge after birth. More like old blood. It. Ames me think it is from the constant bleeding. I don't know if I am passing any discharge since I am spotting blood daily. I am not taking any medications. It smells even when I have not had sex.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 11 months ago.

Dear,

Well, it could be related with Bacterial vaginosis (BV). It is a very common condition, where balance of bacteria inside the vagina becomes disrupted.

This should not be left ignored and has to be managed before hystercetomy.

Your doctor can take a sample of vaginal discharge and check it under microscope.

It can be easily treated with prescription medications- antibiotics.

The most common antibiotic to be given is- Metronidazole. It has to be taken orally twice daily for seven days.

Also, in gel form, this can be applied to the vagina once daily, for five days.

Most of women, get good prognosis, and your symptoms can be managed with such medications.

It is advised, that you should use warm water only to clean the outside of your vagina. You do not need to use soap for cleaning vagina.

Please see your doctor and get this issue managed.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business