Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I have a uterine fibroid with right leg pain, blood in

Customer Question

I have a uterine fibroid with right leg pain, blood in urine(microscopic amounts) and I have a rapid heart rate at night. I have been to the ER and they referred me to a cardiologist. We have done the 24 hour monitor(no results yet). I was reading online that a uterine fibroid can cause a rapid heart rate. And to seek medical attention. I had a heavy period last month and this is hen my rapid heart rate at rest started. I did tell my gynecologist that I was having a rapid heart rate at night but since I am premenopausal she went right to hot flashes of which I don't think I have.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Manos, board certified obgyn. Uterine fibroids are not associated with heart rythym disturbance unless they are a causal factor in heavy periods, severe anemia leading to rapid heart beat. So far you are on the right track to figure things out. Right leg pain may be another symptom that has to be considered but not necessarily related to other factors. With a cardiology consult and gynecologist in the mix, you should get answers. I'm interested in what the Holter monitor showed for starters and more about the leg pain as to how long it is bothering you and where on the leg and what makes it better or worse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read that the uterine fibroids might be pushing on a nerve causing upper thigh pain? Also have a thyroid test pending. My rapid heart rate only occurs at rest. Which he said could be sleep apnea. But I don't snore every night, don't gasp for air etc. thanks. Waiting on results.

Has the size or exact location on the uterus been described to you? Upper thigh pain worse sitting or standing or walking?

The size of the fibroid I mean

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The leg pain has not been every day. Happens mostly when I wake up but then with walking and exercising it goes away. Report says posterior and 2x2. I also started taking Brisdelle yesterday for hot flashes, really only thing bothering me is the rapid heart rate waking me up every 2 hours.

The fibroid is small as fibroids go. Posterior means the back wall of uterus. Could put some pressure on pelvic ligaments when sleeping and leg better when you're up and around. The tachycardia needs to be determined like heart related or hyperthyroid condition. The pending tests will shed light on the situation. Don't worry about fibroid or blood cells in urine at this point.