Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I had an abnormal pap approximately 9 years ago tests show

Customer Question

I had an abnormal pap approximately 9 years ago and follow up tests show positive for high risk HPV. I have now been with the same partner for 8 years and was just recently tested positive for chlamydia and trich. He says he tested negative for both. Are those something that could have been in my system from 9 years ago and just never showed up until recently? The reason I was tested now, is because I was showing symptoms of an std.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today.

I'm sorry to hear about your concerning testing. It's possible to carry both chlamydia and trich for many years before having symptoms and diagnosis. This is more common for chlamydia than for trich. But both are possible. The important thing is for you and your partner to both be treated and have repeat testing in about 3 months. Then if again negative, move on and hopefully nothing more will cause concern.

I hope this was helpful and reassuring. Please reply if I can clarify anything or add more details. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.