Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

My boyfriend told me that 15 years ago he got genital

Customer Question

My boyfriend told me that 15 years ago he got genital herpes. We have not had sex yet. He said he tried a drug many years ago but did not prevent an out break. He had one a year ago when he was under stress. And it was three years before when he had one. What I have read is that there is no*****to keep from contracting it. He has said what he has done in past is make sure there were no signs of an out break before intercourse. We are in our 50,s. How concerned should I be about getting it ? What advice can you give me. I have asked him to look into any new drug therapy options to see if there are advances
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today.

I'm sorry to hear about the herpes. The first thing to do is for you yourself to have a blood test for HSV Type 2 IgG titer. Many people who have herpes don't realize it. If your titer happens to be positive (about a 15% chance) there is no issue since you are "herpes concordant". This means you and your partners status match. If your titer is negative, I do believe he should try going on an anti-viral daily suppressant again. If you are negative for herpes, it's can be very unpleasant to catch it. Just because it didn't work previously doesn't mean it won't work now. There are new medications and we know more about suppressant therapy. Many people shed the virus without being aware of any outbreaks at the time. Condoms do decrease risk but not completely. The virus likes warm moist environments and can be present in fluids on areas of the genitals not covered by a condom.

I hope this information was helpful. Please reply with questions. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Any questions?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.