Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My partner and I are in dubai and a condom broke on us.

Customer Question

Hi doc
My partner and I are in dubai and a condom broke on us. Emergency contraception is not available here. Is it possible to use marvelon as a substitute?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, I don't think that anyone knows the answer to that question, since it hasn't been studied. The usual medication taken for emergency contraception(EC) is levonorgestrel, which is found in Plan B and in a number of birth control pills.

Marvelon contains desogestrel as the progesterone. It might work for EC, but no one knows for sure. If you don't have access to the other methods, you could try Marvelon 4 pills now and repeat in 12 hours. But there are no guarantees.