Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I was 11 days late. I have been very constipated. So I

Customer Question

I was 11 days late. I have been very constipated. So I pushed a little hard. Now I am bleeding. Does that mean that I am having my period or am I having a miscarriage? I have no cramping just blood. My period is always regular. My last period started on the 17th of November. I had sex on November 29th, 30th and 1st and 12th of December. I was supposed to start my period on the 15th of December. Last time I had sex was on the 26th of December (11 days late). I started to bleed on the 26th. I am trying to conceive. I'm scared. Should I wait to see if the bleeding goes away to determine if its an actual period? Please help. Sincerely, Meesha
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Meesha and welcome.

I think there are 2 possibilities. It's possible that you are pregnant, and this is a miscarriage. A pregnancy test might be negative when it's going to be a miscarriage, because there is not enough hcg to cause a positive test. If that's the case, the bleeding will likely get heavier at some point along with some cramps, and you'll pass it.

I think it's probably more likely that you didn't ovulate this month. That also will cause a late period. And when a woman doesn't ovulate, she can develop all the symptoms of pregnancy due to her estrogen level getting high.

In either case, when some bleeding is going to happen sooner or later, it's common that the bleeding comes during or after sex.

You could wait and see what happens, or you could see your doctor to help figure it out. If it is a miscarriage, a blood test for hcg should be positive. If there is no hcg, then you know it's not a pregnancy and not a miscarriage.

Since your periods are usually regular, I wouldn't be too concerned. Every woman occasionally has a month where she doesn't ovulate, and after the age of 30, it often happens a little more. Best wishes.