Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

Today my partner is on her ovulation day and we had

Customer Question

Today my partner is on her ovulation day and we had unprotected intercourse with no ijaculation. We got these contreceptives called Yasmin's to be safe and i would like to know the instructions to take them as well as the dosages and side effects too.Or if it is neccissry to take them at all
Thanks and please provide a detailed answer
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I am privileged you have allowed me to help you improve your health. There are a few preliminary questions I need you to answer in order to give you the best advice.

1. Was an ovulation test used to determine the day of ovulation? If not then how did she determine it?

2. Was she given the Yasmin as a birth control pill for contraception? or for emergency contraception?

3. What is the first day of her last menstrual period (LMP)?
4. Do you have periods every month, i.e. 28-30 days? If not what is your menstrual cycle length?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please refer to the numbers below to find the answers to your question with their numbers.
1) no ovulation test was used to determine , she has a period tracker app and it tells her the day of her ovulation
2) the Yasmin's pill was given to her as an emergency contreceptives but she still did not take it because were waiting on instructions from you.
3) the first day of her previous period was the 8th of December
4) her periods are fairly regular and vary from 28-32 days more or less. And yes she gets them every month
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please get back to me as soon as possible as we are running out of time. thanks

How many of the Yasmin pills were you given by the physician? How did the doctor instruct you to take them?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I took them from the pharmacy and did not see a doctor, this is why i am asking you for the instructions to take and dosages as well as side effects

Take 4 pills at once, then repeat 4 pills in 12 hours. Be advised that if the period does not start within 2 weeks then a pregnancy blood test should be done, as the pregnancy may not have been prevented. When taking heavy dose birth control pills (BCPs) a woman can experience nausea & possibly vomiting. If the pills are vomited then it is not recommended to repeat the dose at this point because similar side effect can occur.

You should know that if the egg has already been fertilized and the hormones do not cauase a period then the fetus may be effected by the increase estrogen dose.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We had intercourse yesterday. If she took it today and the next 12 hours what are the chances that it would work because there was No ijaculation during intercourse we are just taking extra precautions

While you had intercourse, despite not having ejaculated inside of her, the precum also contains sperm so there is still risk of pregnancy. however since it has been less then 24 hours in taking the emergency contraception (EC) then there is an excellent chance that the EC will work.

I would recommend you avoid having sex on the day of ovulation. This is strongly recommended for couples who are trying to actively conceive.

Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time and feel free to ask for me for your next health question

Have a great day!