Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I'm a 19 year old. I tried sex 3 times and each time has

Customer Question

Hi I'm a 19 year old virgin. I tried sex 3 times and each time has been painful. I'm currently dialating to train my vagina muscles but I can tell it will be a while before normal sex happens. Is it a good idea to numb vagina??
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Have you seen an OB/GYN doctor?

Is your hymen normal?

Is the diagnosis vaginismus? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't been to a doctor and I'm pretty sure my hymen is gone. I self diagnosed myself with vaginismus but I could be wrong. My trouble is mostly at the entrance of my Vigina is it a good idea to numb my vagina??

Numbing the entrance of your vagina may be helpful. To try you could use some 4% lidocaine cream.

If you do have vaginismus, the anesthetic may not be very helpful, since the problem is due to a spasm of the vaginal muscles, and the anesthesia in just numbing the surface. But it may be worth a try.

If it's not helpful, then I would recommend seeing a good OB/GYN doctor. Vaginismus can be a difficult problem to overcome, but it can be done by gradual, progressive efforts.