Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I use to be on methadone I tried to go subtext it didn't

Customer Question

Hi I use to be on methadone I tried to go subtext it didn't work cause buprenorphine is a blocker so stupidly after been clean from heroin for ten years
A friend suggest me to swop from methadon to heroine and then go to buprenorphine
So I stopped methadon and start using heroine for 2 months suddenly my body or brain had strang reverse effect and instead of getting high it put me in withdrawal but I didn't understand cause I start getting heart palpitations and breathing problems and weak and dizzy
Immediately I stopped the heroine went back to methadon but it gave me the same problems it put me in a very heavy withdrawal I tried other opioids like opium still the same so all these time I be been in hell
Last week I tried subutex it didint hep but it was a bit better I add Valium on it and I'm almost my self again the problem is I don't canoe what to do cause me an my wife trying for baby does the Valium have effect on sperm and I don't know what to do cause I know Valium is
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified physician. I can help you today.

Valium has been shown at least in animal studies to have a negative effect on sperm movement and the length of time they stay alive. The researchers were able to tell exactly why this happened because of the way the cells were damaged. Human sperm has the same structures that control movement and life so it is highly suspected that human sperm also is affected by Valium this way. For sperm, it usually takes about 3 months for recovery from damage caused by various medications. This doesn't mean you would for sure have trouble getting pregnant, but if she's not pregnant within 1 year of trying with sex 2=3 times weekly, the medications could be the problem.

I hope this information was helpful.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 11 months ago.

If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks and good luck.