Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have recently had 2 positive pregnancy tests (2 faint

Customer Question

I have recently had 2 positive pregnancy tests (2 faint lines). My first day of my last period was 22nd of November. Since 6th December I have been having cramping and the day before my period was due (period was due the 18th December) I started to have very light Brown discharge. I still have this but it's getting even lighter. I am still having stomach cramps. Do you know if this is normal? I am currently traveling (I'm in Cambodia at the moment) and have 4 more weeks before I fly home to the UK.
Thanks
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The stomach cramps are the same pain and strength of period pains. This is also my first pregnancy.
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 11 months ago.

It's not normal. With 2 faint pregnancy tests, it looks like you're pregnant.

However, with the cramping and brown discharge, it's likely to be a miscarriage.

Since both pregnancy tests were faint, that also suggests miscarriage, since it appears that the hcg level is not rising normally.

I would continue to rest. It's likely that at some point, you will get increased bleeding and cramping, and you'll have the miscarriage. Since it's a very early miscarriage, you most likely won't have very heavy bleeding. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. My test yesterday morning was faint but this morning it was definitely stronger. Does that make a difference?

Yes, that might mean that the pregnancy will be OK.

With cramping and brown discharge, it may or may not turn into a miscarriage. Time will tell.

If you get to 6 weeks, then an ultrasound will be able to tell.