Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My name is pam.. I had surgical induced menopause 12 yrs ago

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** had surgical induced menopause 12 yrs ago and am wondering how long the symptoms of menopause last
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i am having night sweats and chills and am wondering if menopause is the cause, but my surgical induced menopause was over 10 yrs ago
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to OB GYN Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 11 months ago.

Hello Pam,

Have you been having these symptoms ever since surgery 10 years ago?

Have you used any hormone replacement?

How old are you?

Do you take any medications?

Do you have much stress? Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am 54, can't use hormone therapy because I had breast cancer. Symptoms started about 4 weeks ago, have a lot of stress. I take medication, but nothing new has been added.

Menopause is the most common cause of night sweats and chills, but stress is also a possible cause.

Since you had surgical induced menopause 10 years ago, your female hormone levels haven't changed since then. So your night sweats and chills are not due to hormones.

Stress is the likely cause. However, occasionally night sweats and chills may be due to some infections, such as tuberculosis. It would be worthwhile for you to see your doctor to be sure there is no such infection. Best wishes.