Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I had some bleeding around 6 and 8 weeks and i was put on

Customer Question

I had some bleeding around 6 and 8 weeks and i was put on progesterone 100 for 12 weeks, but its always been used to produce a cycle for me and it scares me silly to stop it. Any advice?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 11 months ago.

Progesterone is used to support an early developing pregnancy until the placenta can take over Progesterone levels are very high in early pregnancy. Taking progesterone cannot cause a period when you are already pregnant. It also cannot effectively treat bleeding episodes in early pregnancy. If you have had an ultrasound and there is a heart beat, its not likely doing any good or any harm either.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I didn't have periods so they were not real just would take progestin sor progesterone and stop and I'd have a period and have read some scarey things about people stopping. Are you supposed to stop suddenly? How long is too long to take it?
Also when are tests performed because I thought I read one at least had to be done a certain time and I'm afraid I may not be in that time frame when I go back to the doctor?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 11 months ago.

If your Dr recommends it till 12 weeks, take it until then and then stop. What tests are you referring to?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've had four sonograms because of some bleeding but I don't think I've had scans that are suppose to be like the 20 week one tho I'm not 20 weeks but there's one I think said had to be done after 11 but before 13. Just certain tests at certain weeks.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had one sonogram at 6 when I found out and 8,9,10 (though on the 10 I measured 9 weeks 5 days) 1 was for first one 2 for spotting and 1 regular checkup
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oh and when I told her I was scared she said I could stay on it but I don't know how long is too long?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 11 months ago.

You will need to stay on it only until the end of the first trimester then 13 weeks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok she wasn't specific when I was concerned about suddenly stopping she just said I could stay on it
So what's the maximum I can take it in weeks?
And do you taper or wean?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can you tell me the tests that need to be done like do you have to have a NT scan ect or any others at certain weeks?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 11 months ago.

You should only take it to 13 weeks It does not need to be tapered. It can just be stopped. First screening (Nt scan and bloodworik) is done between 11-13 weeks.