Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I have Factor V and has DVT during a past pregnancy. It is

Customer Question

I have Factor V and has DVT during a past pregnancy. It is safe for me to take a Plan B pill.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today.

I'm sorry to hear about your concern. Yes it's perfectly safe for you to go ahead and sue the Plan B despite your history of Factor V deficiency and prior history of DVT. We are much less concerned about progesterone than we are about estrogen. But the Plan B as a morning after pill is perfectly safe with your history.

I hope this was helpful and reassuring. Please reply if I can clarify anything or add details. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you. Taking any type of hormone makes me very nervous now.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry for the nervousness. But it's the estrogen that's the problem with coagulation issues. Not the progesterone. So in women with a history of Factor V Leiden and blood clots, progesterone by itself is fine. Plan B is progesterone by itself, so it doesn't pose any risk. Any other questions so I can reassure you. I do have extensive experience in this area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much!
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. I'm glad to help. Please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

There should be a way for you to leave a rating so please do. Thanks.