Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 24 years old and 3 months pregnant. past year And a

Customer Question

I am 24 years old and 3 months pregnant. For the past year And a half (right after my daughters birth) I have been experiencing weird changes. Heavy vaginal discharge and bleeding after sex and pelvic and back pain that just gets increasingly worse. My papsmear last year was normal and ultrasound came back with endocervical fluid that needed further testing but dr never followed up. I just did the papsmear for my pregnancy and dr said my cervix looked abnormal and she could see a lesion. She was very concerned. My lab test came back with high platelets however the papsmear came back normal. My cervix is still bleeding and the lesion is still there. As are all my symptoms. She says she is thinking. Of still doing a colposcopy. This has been going on for a year and a half and not one of the antibiotics have helped. I'm clean of all STD or infections. What should I do? I'm bleeding spontaneously through this pregnancy. Should I insist on more testing? I am very weak and fatigued
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Are you seeing an OB/GYN doctor?

Have you had a normal ultrasound this pregnancy with a normal heartbeat? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have only seen my OBGYN. and yes the pregnancy is fine so far besides a sub chorionic hemorrhage I had but it's gone.

I doubt that many of your symptoms are from the lesion on your cervix, but it seems like a good idea to do a colposcopy on it, and perhaps remove it. Since your Pap smear is normal, it's likely not anything serious, but it's not normal, and perhaps it could be a problem at delivery.

We hesitate removing something from the cervix during pregnancy, because there tends to be more bleeding that when non-pregnant, but it seems like this needs to go.

It's uncertain whether your bleeding has been due to the lesion, to the sub chorionic hemorrhage, or something else. Perhaps removing the lesion will stop the bleeding. But apparently your baby is doing fine.

The cervical lesion may be responsible for the vaginal discharge, which is another reason to remove it.

The pelvic and back pain are not likely due to the cervical lesion, so it's hard to know their cause. It's also a little hard to investigate them much because of the pregnancy. The best time to figure out the cause would have been before you got pregnant, but I realize that we sometimes don't find the cause of pelvic and back pain. At least we try to rule out anything serious. As long as you have a normal ultrasound, and the back pain doesn't seem to be due to back problems, I'm not sure what to advise.

Is it possible that some of your symptoms may be due to stress? When another cause can't be found, that is often the reason.

So I would recommend a colposcopy and probably removal of the cervical lesion.

If your other problems continue, perhaps you might wish to seek a second opinion. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I doubt it's stress, I'm lucky enough to have a lot of help and I'm not working. I do have many recurrences of ovarian cysts which it feels like but then it radiates to my back so I'm not sure. There's no burning or anything when I pee. I'm just very concerned about how weak and tired I am. It's too excessive even for pregnancy. Also, why are my platelets so high? And considering the lesion has been on my cervix for a year, is it worrisome? Should I wait till after birth to remove it?

How high is your platelet count?

Was it repeated?

Do you take any medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
623,000 count. No medications this is the first time it popped up on my lab work.

The first thing to do would be to repeat the platelet count. Many things can cause what is called reactive thrombocytosis, which is where the platelet count is high due to a reaction to something, such as allergy, exercise, infection, or inflammation.

If the platelet count remains high, then your should probably be referred to a hematologist for evaluation. High platelets can increase your risk for both blood clotting and bleeding.

Stress is the most common cause of fatigue and weakness that we see. Not working doesn't necessarily mean not stressed.

Whether to wait until after birth to remove the cervical lesion is a judgment call. It would depend on how it looks under the colposcope, whether it's causing the bleeding or the discharge, etc.