Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Is it possible to be ovulating as little as a day after you

Customer Question

Hello is it possible to be ovulating as little as a day after you come off your period? I have irregular periods. Each month my expected start date gets later and later. About 6 days later I experienced some blood spots and have been feeling tired and sick very recently. I took a test 13 days after I had unprotected sex and it was negative. I did it late at night and could have possibly diluted hormone levels because I regularly drink loads of water and milk. Basically would I be better off waiting till 21 days or so before take a HPT again? And even then are false negatives still likely at all? That would be 1 to 4 days before expected next period? Also is there anything I can do or not to to make my periods more regular? Thank you!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 12 months ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today.

I'm sorry to hear about your irregular periods. It is possible to ovulate one day after finishing your period. But this is usually only true if the cycle lengths are short. You say the expected date gets later and later, so that doesn't match. Home pregnancy tests are accurate 14 days after the sex if the first urine of the morning is used (not diluted). To make the periods more regular, it can help to take the supplement myo-inositol. That's a b vitamin componenet that has been shown in many studies to improve the way the ovary works. Keeping weight in the normal range also helps. If the thyroid hasn't been checked, it should be.

I hope this has been helpful. Let me know if I can clarify anything or add more details. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
25ish days is roughly how long my cycle is I think but it varies. Usually becoming later for a few times then it goes back to how it was then changed again. Not drastically but enough to become annoying. Would you consider that a short or a long cycle? What might that blood be? It can't of been left over blood from menstral cycle, because it wasn't brown really it was more red/pinkish? If that isn't implantation bleeding or left over period what else could it possibly be? Because I have symptoms like sick,dizzy,tired and gagging. Could it possibly be related to something more serious?Many thanks,
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 12 months ago.

So yes you do have fairly short cycles. It's not possible to have pregnancy symptoms before a pregnancy test turns positive. No the sick, tired, etc. cannot be from pregnancy if test isn't positive yet. Those type of symptoms don't come on until about 4-6 weeks after conception. Thyroid disease can cause many types of symptoms including cycle irregularities, tiredness and overall not feeling well. It's worth checking that. Blood spots at the middle of the cycle can have many causes. It can be due to hormone dips at time of ovulation, polyps, infections, actually quite a number of things. The best thing to do is get a proper evaluation with a gynecologist who can test for these things, get an ultrasound and make sure there is nothing serious. It's not likely from what you're describing that there is anything serious. But it's importnat to have pap smears done on schedule and infections checks.

Anything else?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 11 months ago.

If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.