Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Should a pregnant woman in her last trimester inquirer about

Customer Question

Should a pregnant woman in her last trimester inquirer about having a doula? And what is a doula?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 12 months ago.

Hi it's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today.

A doula is a trained birth support attendant. Usually a "she". Research shows that the presence of a doula reduces the rate of -c-section and various other interventions. The role is to facilitate communication between the parents and OB care providers. And to give support to the birthing mother. This can range from massage, running errands, calling people, making sure birth plan is being followed, etc. Most doulas also provide after care with home visits. Here is a link to the largest doula organization for more info and how to find a trained doula:

http://www.dona.org/mothers/

I hope this was helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 11 months ago.

If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.