Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My name is ***** ***** and I am wondering when I should have

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and I am wondering when I should have intercourse after I take the shot. I took the shot last night at 10 p.m. My husband and I had sex after the shot, and we are scheduled for an IUI tomorrow morning at 10 a.m. is it safe for us to have sex today before the IUI? I took an ovulation this morning at 6 a.m. eight hours after I gave myself the shot and I'm ovulating... I'm just wondering if I should have sex again before the IUI
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my husband and I have been trying to conceive for a year and we haven't had any success. we are hoping to get pregnant with this cycle.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to OB GYN Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 11 months ago.

Please don't have sex again before the IUI.

Each time a man has an ejaculation, it takes some time for his sperm count to recover.

I believe most doctors will recommend abstaining from sex for about 2 days before IUI. Perhaps your husband's situation is different, and perhaps your doctor told you something different. If not, it's best to abstain for at least one day and probably two days.

Since you are ovulating now, I would go ahead with the IUI. And ask your doctor about whether to abstain before the next time. Best wishes.