Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I was told I was having a leep procedure today do to a

Customer Question

I was told I was having a leep procedure today do to a abnormal papsmear, the results of the pap. Indicated I had large squamous intraepithelial lesion. During the procedure is heard the doctor ask for the endo (forgive me if can't remember the last part of the word, but I do know from research that it's used for the inside of the cervix ). My question is would the doctor only do this if he saw bad cells with the dye or that the lesion had entered my cervix already? They will not tell me anything. They asked if I had colposcolpy before and I said yes I've had 3. Then he asked if i have had the leep. I said no. He said I guarantee that this will be the last. I said if this comes back positive what's next? He said hysterectomy. Is this his way of warning me that he can already see that the squamous has already turned endo? I am 32 and have my tube station tied, I also was bad and waited 5 years to get a papsmear because 9f all the colposcolpy's they kept wanting to give me. My fault. But could someone please help me with this I'm confused as to why he took the outside off and the inside. I know for a fact he did the endo biopsy because I asked the nurse and she showed me both of the large white chunks of skin in two separate containers. Please help me have a better understanding. I'm not a doctor but I've done my research and want to be prepared as early as possible if I do have this. Time is of the essence because I'm self employed and my husband is a stay at home dad with my two boys, 5 and 7. My seven year old has autism and I am our only source of income and don't get paid if I don't work. So if I could get a straight answer or a more layman's term of what's going on. I've read about the levels of cin and was not told I had any level of that. But when I researcher squamous intraepithelial lesion is basically skin cancer of the outside of cervix, SO AM I WRONG for assuming (which I know i shouldn't do) the if he did the endo biopsy on top of the leep without for warning me it's because he clearly could see it has already entered my uterus? Please help if anyone can even anonymous is fine with me just please give me a little more info. Like I said I'm not a doctor but I'm not an idiot either and understand alot of this. I just need a hint. Pretty please help me.........:(
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Was a colposcopy and biopsy done prior to doing the leep?

If so, did they tell you whether the abnormal cells went deep into the cervical canal?

Do you know whether they did an endocervical curettage (ECC)when doing the colposcopy? Thank you.