Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have been told I have vaginal atrophy, but the symptoms 't

Customer Question

I have been told I have vaginal atrophy, but the symptoms don't always match up. I am menopausal, have wet and sometimes yellow (to green occasionally) discharge daily. Have tried HR and vaginal hormones but they don't seem to make the discharge stop. I have been treated for VB off and on. I had 3 vaginal births, 2 with forceps.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

How did you take the Estrace?

Do you have other symptoms besides the discharge? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The estrace was vaginally, didn't really help. No other symptoms, just the discharge daily-soometimes just clear, other times with a color

Did you use the estrace vaginally nightly for at least 2 weeks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Initially yes. Then tapered off to 2-3 times a week, but didn't notice a big change. I still have some left in the tube but when I used it the discharge seemed a bit worse, but maybe I need to try it again. What do you think about probiotics?

Probiotics are helpful for some things, but I don't think they have proved helpful for vaginal atrophy.

Estrogen vaginal cream takes at least 2 weeks of nightly use to get a good effect, and will take longer for some women. Estrogen is still the gold standard for the treatment of vaginal atrophy.

Bacterial vaginosis (BV) will have a bad odor. If you don't have a bad odor, it's not BV.

If 2-3 weeks of nightly estrace doesn't resolve the discharge, I would recommend seeing your doctor at that time for evaluation. Perhaps there is something else going on.