Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I would like to delay my period. I am taking 100 mg of

Customer Question

I would like to delay my period. I am taking 100 mg of progesterone due to peri menopause symptoms. How should I go about delaying? Thank you!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

Progesterone can work to delay a period, since the normal period begins due to a natural fall in progesterone levels.

There is more experience with synthetic progesterone in delaying periods. Specifically, using norethisterone 5mg 3 time daily works fairly well to delay a period.

Using natural progesterone would probably require taking about 200mg 2-3 times daily to reliably delay your period.

You can usually delay your period for a week or so. More than that doesn't always work.

The other way to delay your period is with the birth control pill, which contains progesterone. I hope that's helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you!

You're welcome.

Please click the rating button. Thank you.