Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have had heavy periods last few months. Recently I had my

Customer Question

I have had heavy periods for the last few months. Recently I had my blood levels checked and my iron was at an 8. I also had a pelvic ultra sound. Everything came back normal but I am still having heavy periods, spotting in between and a heavy discharge. Is there an underlying cause?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

How old are you?

How regular are your periods?

Do you use anything for birth control?

Did you have your hemoglobin checked? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 26. Regular cycle. Ranging from 6-7 days. The older I get, the heavier they are. The spotting in between and discharge concerns me. I am not on birth control. My hemoglobin was in the normal range on my hemotology report.

It's somewhat unusual to have such heavy periods at your young age when the cycle is regular.

If you were older, fibroid tumors of the uterus would be a common cause of heavy periods and spotting.

At age 26, the most likely cause of your heavy periods is from hormonal changes. You could test this by taking birth control pill for a couple of months. If your periods became light and normal and the spotting between stopped, that would be good evidence of a hormonal cause. If that were so, then the best treatment would likely be to continue on with the pill.

In case your periods continued to be heavy, then further studies would be needed, such as a hysteroscopy (scope through the cervix to look into the uterus) and D&C.

In the meantime, it would be best to take at least an iron pill daily to help keep your hemoglobin in the normal range. Best wishes.