Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am very concerned. I am 48 years old and have very heavy

Customer Question

Hello, I am very concerned. I am 48 years old and have very heavy bleeding and severe cramping for 7-9 days every month since I was 9 years old when I have my cycles. I have had 4 pregnancies and 2 live births. My oldest is 21 and my youngest is 16. Both pregnancies were not detected until 2 months along with bfns before then. I was convinced that I was not pregnant with my youngest and did lots of things that I definitely would not have done if I even thought I was pregnant and she was born with mental retardation and has mild cp. When I turned 40 I was diagnosed with chf and shortly after I told my doctors that I felt pregnant. I never ever skip my periods unless I am pregnant and I skipped a whole month snd a half, had all of the pregnancy symptoms but 10 urine pregnancy tests said negative. Well I was taken by ambulance to the hospital where I had a miscarrage and blood test confirmed pregnancy but had a blighted ovum. 2 years later the same thing, my job sent me to the hospital miscarrage again with earlier neg preg tests and all of the symptoms. Now years later I was told by my gyn dr that it is impossible for me to get pregnant with my age and health problems. Me and my husband of 23 years went away in october after years of using condoms we had unprotected sex at the exact time of ovulation which I was not aware of because I long stopped keeping track of those things not trying to have babies. But I immediately started having extremely sore breasts, nausea, dizziness, frequent urination and then light spotting before my period was due then no period since. Lmp 10/9/15 november 6th took hpt with very fsint positive result. Went to the er 11/13/15 negative blood and urine tests did a cat scan found a cyst on my ovary. Still having no period and pregnancy symptoms went to gyn dr office did urine test...negative snd she said I am in menopause and hopefully pregnancy symptoms will go away soon. If I were pregnant I would be about 7 wks, my stomach looks pregnant my breast are still killing me my appetite is still awful I feel and look pregnant but dr still says its impossible. I welcome menopause with open arms but why do I still feel pregnant? Afraid to have another miscarrage or another handicapped child. So Confused!!!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

At age 48, it's common to miss periods, since women tend to ovulate less after the age of 40.

When a woman doesn't ovulate, she can have increased estrogen levels, which can cause all the symptoms of pregnancy, including nausea, sore breasts, bloating, etc.

Although you had a faintly positive pregnancy test, the negative blood test done after means that it was a false positive test.

Actual menopause means no periods for 1 year. That may still be some time in the future, since you've been having monthly periods until October. This time is called perimenopause, which is the time of irregular periods, various symptoms, and hormone levels that can go from high to low.

One possible solution for you would be to take low dose birth control pills.

That will give you regular periods plus even out your hormone levels so that most of your symptoms will disappear. I would discuss that with your doctor. Best wishes.