Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I'm a 28 year old female. I suffer from gh anxiety and panic

Customer Question

I'm a 28 year old female. I suffer from high anxiety and panic attacks. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for about 3 months. Ever since I learned about what an ectopic pregnancy is, I've been basically obsessed and convinced I'm going to have one. My last cycle began very late on Thursday, October 29th light spotting for 2 days before that leading up to a normal period. This month, I began having light spotting Friday night, all day yesterday and what I'm hoping is a normal period today. I'm having light cramping, moderate bleeding, changing pad every 3 or so hours and slight dizziness. I've taken multiple pregnancy tests before today all being negative. I'm still very worried that the bleeding in experiencing is an ectopic pregnancy instead of a normal period. The internet explainations all make symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy sound just like period pains. Can you please help easy my mind that this is in fact a normal period and not an ectopic pregnancy? I appreciate your help!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

If it is ectopic pregnancy, the pregnancy test should be positive. You don't have a ectopic pregnancy. Reassured.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Could you please explain in a bit more depth?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

If it is a ectopic pregnancy, the pregnancy test should be positive. Also if it is ectopic pregnancy, it causes dull pain (if it is not ruptured) or severe pain (if it is ruptured). It doesn't cause light cramping.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible to confuse a menstral cycle for an ectopic pregnancy? When do they typically occur? How are they different?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Usually the bleeding from ectopic pregnancy occurs after the timing of the period.