Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Inflamed perianal redness and tremendous itching...

Customer Question

inflamed perianal redness and tremendous itching... clobetesaol propionate worked great but it came back. What other treatment deals with the etiology of this? Is this usually caused by a fungus? Age 69
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today.

I'm sorry to hear about this discomfort. Redness and itching in that area is often from more than one cause. I'm glad that the clobetasol is working. Some women need to use it on a regular basis to keep the skin condition under control.. Usually during a flare, we have women use it daily, but then drop to 1-2 times weekly to keep it controlled. Also we'll often have women had an over the counter skin protector such as A&D ointment or Desitin, same as is used to prevent diaper rash. The condition you describe is often a combination of a skin condition along with a fungus or reaction to moisture. In such situations, we have women use A&D ointment or Desitin daily, after grooming and bowel bovements. Then use the clobetasol 1-2 x weekly as prevention and daily with a flare. The only way to get a certain diagnosis is to have a skin biopsy, but this is rarely needed. The reason is that having a definite diagnosis doesn't change the treatment recommendation in 99.99% of situations. So usually I just do a biopsy if the above plan doesn't control the symptoms.

Any questions?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation. So please do reply if I can clarify anything or add more details.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.