Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Owen, I am 47, 5'6, 130 lbs, recent pelvic US due to 2 yr of

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Owen, I am 47, 5'6, 130 lbs, recent pelvic US due to 2 yr of irregular bleeding showed swollen left ovary (4.1 cm) with 2 separate cysts 15.0 and 18.0 mm, right ovary 24mm. Nabothian cyst in uterus. Thoughts?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you today.

I'm sorry that you've been having some trouble with bleeding. I wonder if the ultrasound report gave any details about the uterus and the lining. Usually if there is irregular bleeding, we're concerned about fibroids, polyps and the appearance of the endometrial lining of the uterus.

Ovarian cysts are fairly common as women get older. It would help to have a description of the cysts but I suspect they're "simple". When a woman is in her late 40s, the signalling to the ovaries gets erratic and sometimes the ovary will produce more than 1 follicle leading to such double cysts. This is why the rate of twins increases with age. Most likely, these cysts will go away over time.

So from the information you've given me so far, there are 2 issues, one is the bleeding and the second is the cysts. Both are most likely due to hormonal changes with the ovaries aging. In order to tell you more, I'd need the complete wording of the ultrasound report. Specifically, I'd like to know the size of the uterus, what the texture of the uterus looked like, did they see any fibroids and whether the lining looked normal and how thick it measured. We'd also usually check for thyroid disorder which can contribute to abnormal bleeding and check for anemia. Once all that information was available, we'd come up with a treatment plan for the bleeding. With regards ***** ***** ovarian cysts, most likely we'd just recommend repeat ultrasound in a few months to make sure the cysts went away, most likely they will, provided they were described as "simple" in the report.

I can provide as much clarification and detail as you'd like. So please reply so I can fine-tune my information so you get the most helpful response possible.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Any questions?