Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I have a Mirena IUD, and very happy with it but have been

Customer Question

I have a Mirena IUD, and very happy with it but have been considering trying to get pregnant, I'm 44 and know this could be difficult at my age, is there a way to test my fertility hormones without removing the IUD?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today.

Unfortunately there really isn't. The Mirena IUD supresses the ovarian function so any ovarian reserve testing would be unreliable. It's possible that an anti-Mullerian hormone level would be accurate but I don't think there has been any research on this, so I wouldn't trust a result. The other thing to keep in mind is that the miscarriage rate at age 44 is about 50% and the risk of chromosomal issues is about 1/25. Many women in your age group would consider using donated eggs to avoid those risks while others would not be interested in using donor eggs at all.

Please reply if I can add details or clarify anything. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Any questions?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.