Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

My period is about 5 days late... It's normally always

Customer Question

My period is about 5 days late... It's normally always on track... However a few weeks ago I was really sick with strep and ear infections... That's was also the time I was supposed to be ovulating... Could this be my problem??
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Manos, obgyn. If you're late on your period, a pregnancy test could be positive by now. If your infections occurred earlier in your cycle it could delay ovulation but if closer to mid cycle then it shouldn't.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took a test yesterday and it was negative... I have a period tracker on my phone... I was supposed to be ovulating on the 28th... I had went to the dr on the 21st... I was really sick for at least 2 weeks!

If you were ill and weak and tired, the body only has so much energy to go around. It's possible that you didn't ovulate but the spot on the ovary where an egg was to be released fizzled out. This can throw the ovary off and a functional small cyst can linger where the egg wasn't released and hold your period off for as much as a month. As long as you are not having any lower abdominal pain just wait. You're not likely to be pregnant on this delayed cycle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I need to go to the dr. Or just wait it out? And how long should I wait

Hello, Dr Manos again. As I said, wait for now and you don't need to go to doctor. I imagine you will see a period in about two weeks. You may have some spotting of blood during this interval. Should you develop lower abdominal pain then consult your doctor to at least have an ultrasound to evaluate the uterus and ovaries.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing I'm having right now is the occasional stomach cramps like I'm going to start my period

The cramps can be a sign that your period is imminent and it may be heavier than normal. Watchful waiting right now as long as you don't have lower abdominal pain in the lower right or left area indicating the ovaries as a source. Episodes like this are fairly common as the mechanism for normal cycles depend on fairly intricate activity between uterus and ovaries. There is no reset button to push, fortunately the system can reset itself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hopefully it will start soon... I hate when it's off track.. It throws everything off

You've had a tough time with your well being. I'm finally getting over a cold and its symptoms with the drag on my energy and responsibilities. I'm also watching the news and that isn't helping my well being. I think I'll watch old movies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely know what you mean