Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I had my right ovary taken out in September. Since then I've

Customer Question

I had my right ovary taken out in September. Since then I've been having vaginal problems. Like dryness, and my vagina isn't tight like it was before my surgery, and I still haven't had a period, is this normal? If so what can I do to get it back to the way it was?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today.

I'm sorry that you're having this trouble. The vaginal dryness is posibly related to a drop in estrogen from the loss of your ovary. But it also may just be a temporary adjustment to the loss.

The lack of a period since the surgery may just be a stress reaction. Some women won't ovulate or have a period for up to 2 months after such a surgery.

If the period isn't back by next month, it would be recommended to have some hormone blood tests. This would include checking for thyroid disorder, levels of estrogen and an FSH level which helps figure out if the remaining ovary is healthy or not. There are some other hormone blood tests that might need to be checked too depending on more details of your history.

So if the period isn't back by next month and the vaginal dryness continues, it's time to follow-up with the gynecologist who did the surgery. Most likely he or she would order some of the blood tests that I mentioned above to figure out the cause and best treatment.

I hope this was helpful. Any questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then why is my vagina not tight like it was before?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

This can be a tissue reaction to the surgery and due to lowered estrogen levels as well. The first thing to solve is whether this will get back to normal by 8 weeks after surgery or not. If not, the hormone levels should be checked. It's also possible that as long as there is no pain, you could start trying to restore the pelvic floor muscle strength with tightening exercises such as Kegal's. The vaginal walls are formed from muscles. Having pelvic surgery can cause weakness in these muscles leading to a feeling of looseness.

Any other questions?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

If none, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks and I hope things get back to normal soon. Good luck.