Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

An ultrasound was done on 11/11 which shows that date of

Customer Question

an ultrasound was done on 11/11 which shows that date of conception was 10/05 or 5 weeks 3 days. We had intercourse on 9/24 before and 10/16 after is it possible that either dates caused this pregnancy
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne with 30+ years of experience. I can help you with this.

The information that I need is the exact wording of the ultrasound report. It will give the gestational age as calculated from the measurement and/or the due date based on that ultrasound. The gestational age differs from the actual conception age by 2 weeks. This is a very important source of confusion in determining conception date. That's why I need the exact wording of the report.

Were you given a due date based on that ultrasound? That would be helpful in figuring out the likely range of conception dates.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
due date is july 10th that and 5 weeks 3 days is all information i was given. we were no longer seeing each other when she told me
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

I'd recommend getting a repeat ultrasound in about 2 weeks. Measurements during the 5th gestational week aren't as reliable as those done between 7 and 10 weeks of gestational age. But based on the ultrasound that was done, the conception date most likely is October 16th with a range of October 13th to the 19th. Because sperm can live for 3-5 days easily, sex as early as October 8th could have resulted in this pregnancy. So sex from October 8th to October 19th is the possible range that resulted in this pregnancy.

The reason that the conception date is not October 5th is because the measurement is GESTATIONAL age. Gestational age measures from when the last period was likely to have started. This is a very confusing way of measuring pregnancies. When we say gestational age 5 weeks and 3 days, it actually means 3 weeks and 3 days from the most likely day of conception.

Was there any other partner possible? If so it would help to know the dates of that sex too. So far it does seem likely that sex from the 16th was most consistent with the ultrasound measurement.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Any questions?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks and good luck.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Any follow-up questions?