Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Help!! I got the Skyla IUD in August of 2014. I had a period

Customer Question

Help!! I got the Skyla IUD in August of 2014. I had a period for 2 months, then occasional spotting here and there after that. For the last, 3 or 4 weeks I've had light bleeding, extremely sore breasts, night time nausea, and fatigue. All which I never experienced before with my IUD. I've had unprotected sex frequently in the 3 to 4 weeks with my partner, and lately I've felt some pain during sex with my IUD... I can feel the strings, but they definitely feel longer. What is going on?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the IUD might be coming partly out. If that were to happen, then pregnancy would be possible.

I would do a pregnancy test. If your sore breasts and nausea are due to pregnancy, the test should be positive.

In any case, I would make an appointment with your doctor. You might need an ultrasound to know whether the IUD is partly out, although it's also possible that the doctor might be able to see the end of it.

If the IUD is partly out, and you're not pregnant, it might be possible to push it back up inside.

The sore breasts, nausea and fatigue would not be from the IUD, but might be from a change in your hormones, or possibly from stress.

But I'd do the pregnancy test to know whether you might be pregnant.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I can do that. Thank you very much! I'm not under any more stress than usual I don't think! I'll make an appointment for Monday!

You're welcome.

Please click the rating button. Thank you.