Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I have about 12 very large myomas with the largest being

Customer Question

I have about 12 very large myomas with the largest being over 70 cm I have had to bouts of extemely low h and h around2.6 and 2.9 which resulted in 3 unit blood transfusions I have a myomectomy in the past but surgeon took only two and left 11 in 1998 my question is I do not want a hysterectomy but removal of ALL of the fibroids instead is this possible
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today.

I'm very sorry to hear about your trouble with myomas. At age 53, it's usually just a matter of time before the myomas start to shrink on their own and stop causing trouble. Alternatives to hysterectomy include uterine artery embolization and the use of Depo-Lupron medication to speed the shrinkage. Normally we would not recommend myomectomy over those options because removal of each individual myomas requires "open" surgery ( not laparoscopic) with increased risk of bleeding and hard to guarantee that all myomas will be found and be able to be safely removed. I have extensive experience in managing such difficult circumstances so can answer all your follow-up questions in details. Please reply with further questions. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have not gotten smaller but larger.l resemble someone who is about to deliver a full term set of triplets l control my blood levels with iron i have never had any pain not have stop having a regular period. It is just the size that concerns me and the area were I live is not a good place for a black person to have a quality surgery.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

In that case, the better options would be either uterine artery embolization or the use of Depo-Lupron. Of those 2, the Depo-lupron carries lower risks. It's a shot that's given monthly for 6 months and puts a women into menopause temporarily. Sometimes we can use it for longer than 6 months. This is especially true for black women. The reason is that the medication is not good for bone health and black women tend to have better bones than other races of women. The idea is that we would use this medication in the hope that you'd go into menopause naturally once the medicine wore off. Average age of menopause is 51 so hopefully you're not too far away. From what you've described to me so far, that seems like the best option to get the bleeding under control, get the anemia under control, shrink the fibroids and avoid hysterectomy.

Any questions?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks and good luck. I hope it's solved soon.