Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Have been thru all tests which is negative. No tumors of any

Customer Question

Have been thru all tests for cancer which is negative. No tumors of any kind detected in tubes. Have been bleeding once a month or less (stopped period at 53years of age). No pain just using a pad for a day or two. But it is not much flow, but is bright red. Also experiencing a yeast infection every 3 weeks. Take antibiotics and everything is normal after 2 days. Have been going to OB GYN almost every month and being insistent it getting a full hysterectomy without any information about alternative treatment. I am a stage 2 diabetic. I take iron and calcium pills along with Metformin pills. Also last blood testing showed no signs of amenic.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified ob-gyne with 30 years of experience. I can help you today.

I'm sorry that you have this scary bleeding right now. There are a few possible causes. Most of such light bleeding episodes in older women into menopause are due to tissue thinning from lack of estrogen. This causes the blood vessels to come to the surface where they can pop and cause such bleeding.

But anytime a woman in your age group has such bleeding, we also need to consider less common causes. These include non-cancrous polyps, cancers and precancers. Some medications and other medical conditions can cause post-menopausal bleeding too. Blood thinners,Tamoxifen and liver disease would be the most common.

The way the doctor will figure out the cause is to take more history, examine your tissues for thinning and most likely have an ultrasound done. Nearly all uterine cancers start along the lining of the uterus. So we take a measurement there. If the measurement is greater than 4mm, the risk of a cancer or precancer is about 10%. In that case the doctor will want to do a biopsy.

Did you have any ultrasound, biopsy or other testing done? If so, it would be helpful for me to have the results.

If the lining on ultrasound is 4 mm or less, they most likely would treat with a very low dose of estrogen placed vaginally to thicken and improve the health of the tissue. This prevents future tissue tears and future bleeding.

Risk factors for uterine cancer include obesity, family history of uterine or colon cancer, no childbearing, a history of skipping many periods at younger ages and diabetes. But even with risk factors present, chances are MUCH higher that it's from low estrogen causing blood vessels to pop and tissue tears.

So the next step is to call your gynecologist or primary care doctor. An exam and ultrasound are typical next steps.

I know it's hard not to worry about it being from cancer or precancer but it's much too soon to say that and statistics are WAY in favor of it not being that. Also if it is, it would likely be caught very early. Most advanced cancers of the uterus occur because women do not seek care for months or even years of abnormal bleeding.

I know this is scary but I hope my explanation has been somewhat reassuring and helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything or provide more details.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is what I was looking for. Done biopsy and all tests, everything negative for cancer.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

It would be helpful to have the results. It's not just cancer we get information about in the tests. We also get information about the hormonal effects on the tissue. For example the ultrasound may show a stripe of 1mm along with atrophic tissue on biopsy. This combination confirms that low estrogen is the probable cause of the bleeding, as I explained above. Can you get the reports and get the results for me?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.

If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.